Strom Law Firm Criminal Defense Lawyers
Being arrested for DUI does not mean that you are guilty, a bad person, or that you do not have any rights. The Strom Law Firm DUI defense lawyers located in Columbia, South Carolina can help. Schedule a free case consultation today.
Call Us Today
Pleading guilty to a DUI charge without the advice of a lawyer can have lasting personal and professional consequences including:
- your ability to maintain your current as well as obtain future employment,
- the expense of SR-22 insurance,
- possible prison time,
- hefty fines (which can double when you add court costs), &
- the loss of your license.
Founded by a former U.S. Attorney, the team at Strom Law also includes a former Public Defender and Richland County Assistant Solicitor. Mr. Strom has been awarded an AV rating, the highest Martindale-Hubble ranking. Our Columbia DUI lawyers will evaluate your case at no charge.
How to Fight Your DUI Arrest
During our complimentary case evaluation, we’ll help you decide whether to plead guilty or not guilty – and inform you if your DUI charge or penalties could be reduced.
If retained to provide your DUI defense, our DUI lawyers will investigate the legality of your DUI arrest and determine whether guilt can be proven.
Preparing a DUI Defense
Was your DUI arrest legal?
South Carolina DUI law is a complex law, with a surprisingly large gray area of actual DUI culpability. Though, only a DUI attorney can thoroughly evaluate and challenge your DUI arrest. DUI statutes we’ll examine include:
- South Carolina law dictates that the police officer’s video camera must begin videotaping as soon as the officer turns the blue lights on.
- Prior to administering the breathalyzer test the officer must have read and provided the implied consent notice, stating the consequences of a refusal to submit to a blood test, urine test, or breath test. Learn more about challenging breathalyzer tests.
- Roadside or field sobriety tests (FST) must have been properly administered, for the result to be used in court. Inaccuracies with FSTs are widespread and commonly challenged. Learn more about challenging field sobriety tests.
Under DUI Law: Guilt Must Be Proven
The South Carolina DUI lawyers at Strom Law Firm, LLC will examine these and other DUI laws to determine the strength or weakness of the case against you.
- The prosecution must prove that there was a reason, known as reasonable suspicion, for the officer to pull you over. For example, the officer saw you driving recklessly, speeding or swerving over the double yellow line.
- The prosecution must prove that you were driving any type of motorized vehicle.
- The prosecution must also prove that you were on the road.
- Most importantly, the prosecution must establish that you were materially and appreciably impaired.
- While some statutes are more easily determined than others, the most vital question appears to be whether the defendant was materially and appreciably impaired. This issue is at the core of the argument and presents the biggest challenge in dealing with the DUI statute.
Consequences of a DUI Arrest in South Carolina:
Consequences associated with a driving under the influence conviction are determined by
- the charge of a first DUI, second DUI, third DUI, or subsequent offense;
- your blood alcohol level (the higher your BAC, the stiffer the penalties);
- your agreement or refusal to take a chemical test, such as a breathalyzer (if you refuse, you will lose your license for 6 months, unless you request an administrative suspension hearing);
- minors being in your vehicle; and
- your involvement in a DUI accident.
NOTE: Your DUI defense also plays a key role in determining the final consequences.
Actual DUI penalties, based on the factors above, include:
- A suspended or restricted license
- Mandatory jail time or imprisonment
- Ignition interlock device
- SR-22 insurance
- Fines ranging from $400 to $10,000
- Community service
- Felony conviction
- Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program (ADSAP)
Cases our Columbia DUI Lawyers handle include:
- Reducing DUI charges to reckless driving
- Felony DUI
- Boating under the influence
- Underage drinking
- Military base DUI
- DUI drugs
- Traffic Offenses
Not sure if your situation falls into one of these cases? Call us or fill out the form for a no-cost consultation. Find out how our lawyers can give you another chance.
Interview us now to find out how we can best serve your legal needs. Call to schedule your no-fee case evaluation.
Free Consultations • Flexible Appointments • Se Habla Español
I Need a DUI Lawyer: